Friday, March 4, 2011

Dilligence


I wore my teal shirt dress, stockings and dress shoes today. Why do I tell you this? Because when I pulled into the garage I saw that the mud, leaves and other debris had blocked the drain and the base of the driveway was flooded. So I got out of my car, got the push broom, and started clearing the drain.

At first I couldn't tell if it was working at all. I splashed my legs with mud and got my feet wet. There was so much junk blocking the grate that my sweeping didn't seem to do anything at all. After a few minutes it started getting awkward and hurting but I noticed the water seemed to be going down. That encouraged me and I kept sweeping the debris away. Finally most of the water was down and I was able to clear the drain so it wouldn't flood as bad as the rain continued to fall.

This escapade seemed to be the perfect illustration of how it feels in life sometimes.

There are many times when we have to deal with a problem or situation that will be messy, hard or just inconvenient. We always have a choice. We can just let it be. Ignore it and walk around. If we choose this route we risk the water and dirt flooding the rest of our life and damaging our property. Or we can choose to step up to the challenge, get our feet wet, and be diligent to be part of the solution. This path may get us dirty, sore and side tracked from what we were doing, but it will save much trouble for many others.

We might not see the progress right away either. It might take some serious effort and we might get discouraged in the process. One thing is sure however, being faithful in the menial tasks in life will always be the right thing to put our time to.

So, as you find yourself clearing the drain, be encouraged. You are making a difference and it is worth it.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your thoughts are true and expression of them timely to all ages and circumstance. Keep writing and one day you will have a beautiful novel to read and share with all the world. Docia